Steps to Take If You Have an Accident with an Uninsured Driver

Steps to Take If You Have an Accident with an Uninsured Driver

Hit by an Uninsured Driver?

Every state has laws mandating that all drivers carry insurance with a minimum of liability coverage to provide compensation for the other driver’s vehicle damage and injuries following an accident.

Unfortunately, laws are not always followed, and collisions do take place where one driver may not have insurance, meaning that he is likely unable to pay for the accident, even if it was his fault.

If you are hit by a driver who is not carrying insurance, you will want to take the following steps to seek compensation for the accident.


Call the Police at the Scene

You’ll want to file a police report when you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, because this will help you move forward with a personal injury case and action with your own insurance company.

This will also hold the uninsured party accountable and possibly prevent future incidents on the road for this individual.


Contact Your Own Insurance Company

Most auto insurance policies will include uninsured motorist coverage, which kicks in when you are hit by an uninsured driver.

Unfortunately, these claims can take longer to file than other types of auto insurance claims, and this may hold up the process of auto repairs and medical care.


Talk to a Personal Injury Attorney

While the likelihood is that an individual without insurance will not have money to settle a personal injury case, it is still best to talk to a lawyer and learn if a lawsuit is worth pursuing.

Even if a lawsuit is not the ideal course of action, an attorney experienced in auto accident cases may be a helpful resource as you work with your insurance company to utilize your uninsured driver coverage.

When you need legal services after a car accident in Southern Arizona, you can count on Thrush Law Group to offer personalized attention to achieve a successful outcome in your case. To schedule a free consultation with our personal injury lawyer.

Comments are closed.